Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

So I was in class today, minding my own business and actually paying attention to the lecture when all of a sudden the wheels in my brains started turning. Now I have been talking a lot about having senioritis and wanting to be done with school, and mind you that is true, but I have also come to love learning. It is kind of addicting to me, I just love learning new things and really applying myself. I never thought I would say this but I LOVE studying history! Typically I am never excited at 8am in the morning but every Monday and Wednesday I look forward to my American Revolution class, and trust me, it is not because there are any hott guys in there...it is because I love to learn.

Now don't be fooled. I freaking have senioritis...I am ready to take the next step in my academic career. I had my plans all set, at least somewhat set at best, and I had finally picked out a school...which took the longest time to decide, but once I did I wasn't going to back down. I toil over my decisions, but once I set my course I ruthlessly follow it. That has been the case with history. I have pushed myself harder during the last year than I have at any other time in my life. I have managed to pull my GPA up from a 3.19 to a 3.4 in just three semester, and that my friend is hard freaking work. I demand a lot of myself and truth be told I do get burned out, easily, but deep down I enjoy the work and at the end of the day I know that I have earned every single grade that I have been given.

Now back to my class, it was my geography class. I have always had a passion for traveling and a desire to go everywhere humanly possible, and I mean everywhere...even one of those cruises to the Antarctica. So when we had a guest lecturer come to talk about the southern portion of South America I wondered why the heck I never considered Geography for a major...everything else seemed to cross my mind, but not that. I know you can see where this is going...I am considering extended for a year and earning my B.A. in Geography. It would only add around 11 classes, which I could take over the course of 3 semesters, Summer 2011, Fall 2011 and Spring 2012. It would only delay graduation for one year, which really isn't that bad...I talked to my adviser and he said that it was really up to me and that if it was not required for grad school then it is something that he would not consider. It is not really required for the program that I want to do but I think it would make me more knowledgeable going into grad school which would make me a more well rounded student. He did say though that if I would never have to opportunity to do it again then it would be worth it. Once I am done with undergrad, I am done and there is no going back. I think this would also be a good way to help my chances at finding a job when I graduate...which is never a bad thing.

See, these are the things that you have to think about as a senior...the things that you cannot put off. This is the rest of your life that you are thinking about...whatever you can do to help yourself advance is in your own best interest to do. It's a lot to think about and this stuff is everything that a person with senioritis does NOT want to think about...which makes me wonder, why am I thinking about it at all...

On that note, I think I will end this post...I am way too tired to think right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment